Fuzes and Bruises.

In the wake of the tragic news about Robin Williams, I found it crucial to write this blog and also open up about certain issues I am currently dealing with.

Sadly, depression is a very common form of mental disorder. Globally, more than 350 million people of all ages suffer from depression. It is the leading cause of disability worldwide, and is also a major contributor to the global burden of disease. Surprisingly, more women are affected by depression than men. It is important to note that people with depression may attempt to cover up depression with smoking, alcohol and/or drugs. When depression comes crashing into our lives it usually brings along all of it's friends - Anxiety, eating disorders, alcoholism, loneliness, feeling of worthlessness and many many more. 

Most of us do not give into this evil and keep fighting to the end; even though we feel like giving in several times. Unfortunately, not everyone has the strenght to do so. 


My Confession: 

Life is hard. I consider myself lucky at most times (I have a loving family, great friends and am generally healthy) Despite all this, I still struggle with my own demons. Pretty much on a daily basis too. Whats the most difficult part of all this? Coping with it all when people feel it is an easy fix. Hate to break this to you, but depression is very real and very difficult to control. Do not tell me to count my blessings (like I haven't tried that before). Do not expect me to feel better with a hug, a phone call or Ben&Jerry's. 

You probably won't understand - and I don't really expect you to, but please cut it with the 'Other people have it worse than you' , 'Life isn't fair' , 'Life goes on' , 'Stop feeling sorry for yourself' comments and the worse one 'Go out, have fun, have a drink and forget about everything'.

No doubt many of you will read this and feel sorry for me, or perhaps even sad. DO NOT BE. I am not ashamed of this... quite the opposite really. I am proud of my ability to write about it and let it all out. Despite all that I am going through, I am living a successful life and I still have my old me moments - and those are the moments I live for.

 
Help people who you suspect might be going through the same thing. Depression is not a choice, it is not a cry for attention and it is not something one can get over alone.

Love,
Elaine x

Comments

Popular Posts